Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A few more glimpses into my Aussie life.

Two weekends ago I attended the Flood and Fire 2011 charity event in Dayboro, Queensland. The funds raised went to help victims of the devastating January floods and an unfortunate local house fire. It was really fun to see some great local talent (such as a cute Grade 3 "Here Comes the Sun" performance and some local bands). There were several Rotarians from various clubs in attendance. They were not only representing Rotary in a positive light, but were there to support their constituents, as the gentleman in the middle of the photograph below is the mayor of the neighboring suburban area, and the gentleman on the far right is on the local council. I was rubbing elbows with the politicians!


Going to the Flood and Fire event was very eye-opening. They had slideshows of pictures from the worst of the floods, and it was absolutely shocking! I was happy I got the opportunity to see what it was really like during the floods since I wasn't actually in the country at the time. In the background of the photo below, you can see where water is up to the rooftop/awning of a local shop in downtown Dayboro! Before seeing these pictures, Brian and Cheryl drove me through the town of Dayboro, which barely a month after the floods, looked as if nothing had even happened. It had completely regained its quaint country-town ambiance! I am very impressed with how the community came together and made this happen so quickly, and clearly continue to work at it with events like this one.


These pictures are from similar views up the same street. Further back on the right in the picture below you can see the same yellow and burgundy shop but the water has risen and is surpassing the awning/roofline. What was so devastating about these floods, at least for Dayboro residents, is that the floods came high and FAST. I think picture 1 and picture 2 were not even taken an hour apart from each other and you can see the huge height difference in the water. The good news was that the water receded relatively quickly, too, but not without leaving some long-lasting damage.



This next photo is of me with Cheryl and Brian Springer, my Rotarian hosts! Last Saturday I was invited to attend their annual February Party. This is an awesome tradition (although Brian describes it as just an excuse to throw a party!) that the Springer Family has kept going since the 1970s! (Correct me if I'm wrong there, Cheryl!) They had about 80 people in attendance, and it was a great summer's evening spent with good food and family. Well, for me not family, but it was very fun to meet alllll of the Springers' family. Their quirky tradition with the February Party is that you can only attend if you're there to celebrate a family member whose birthday is in February. When this was explained to me, I was able to tell Cheryl immediately that my Dad's birthday is in February and later I realized my Grandma's was in February, too, so she said that made me doubly-legal to come! Glad I made the cut! haha. I had a glass of yummy Australian red wine for you, Dad! And then a glass of champagne for you, Grandma! Then I remembered that little Ella and little Isaiah's birthdays were in February, too, so I had a double-wide piece of tiramisu in honor of them :) YUM!!


These are all of the fun people I've been getting to hang out with lately! The February Party is a time when literally the WHOLE Springer Family is able to come together, which is really great since Christmas and normal holidays aren't the best time for a good visit. From left to right is Laura with her husband Michael Springer; Michael's sister, Caitlin Springer; Caitlin and Michael's brother, Eddy Springer; in front of Eddy in the black is his, Michael, Caitlin's sister, Louise Springer; to the right of Louise is Eddy's wife, Mellita, and then Joe Springer is the brother of Michael, Caitlin, Eddy, and Louise; then far right is Joe's wife, Candice. The parents/in-laws of this whole crew are Brian and Cheryl, who are pictured with me above! Also, Eddy and Joe are the ones with the boat who get credit for teaching me how to waterski at Somerset Dam!!!!


Below is UQ's medical school. To the left (out of the frame) is the School of Population Health department, but all of my lectures are held in this main building. I love its traditional, regal look to it!


This is a picture of the beautiful Roma Parklands that I live walking distance from. It's basically a big park with awesome botanical gardens, playgrounds, and bbq facilities so you can have picnics there. It is like (a very mini) Central Park with its juxtaposition of high rise buildings behind beautiful, open parkland.


1 comment:

  1. Ok. Took me a bit tonget through the photo and description of who's who of the Springer kids. Whew. I think I got it. Looks like such a great family and we are all so thankful to have them take our baby under their wing. I cannot way to visit and meet the Springers and have a picnic in that pretty park. Xoxo. Mom

    ReplyDelete