Friday, May 6, 2011

Adventures in the jungles of Vanuatu

In the preparation period before my tenure as an Ambassadorial Scholar in Brisbane, I found this quote to help me mentally prepare for the crazy life changes that lay ahead:
"Beginnings are usually scary, and endings are usually sad...but it's the middle that counts. Remember that when you find yourself at the beginning."

I'm happy to say that I think I have finally reached "the middle" with this Easter holidays adventure to Vanuatu. And it's the middle that counts. 

Banyan tree and fruit stand on Tanna Island

Mt. Yasur in the background

Standing on lava rocks below Mt Yasur  with my traveling partners: 3 fellow international students from my master's program

The Vanuatu crew: Ellie, Karen, me, and Kristen

Molten lava on Mt. Yasur!!!


Amazing view from my bungalow balcony


Lelepa Island (look familiar? It should if you're a fan of the tv show Survivor!)

Snorkeling near WWII airplane wreckage

Lelepa Island

Port Vila sunset


On the crater's edge of a live, active volcano!

It gets smoky on the top of an active volcano...

Port Resolution

Local school/church in Tanna

Kava tasting ceremony at the Melanesian Feast

Melanesian feast performers

Making friends with the Melanesian band

Fire show in Port Vila

The base of Mele Cascades

I'm on a boat!

Lelepa island beach bbq

Lelepa island colorful market




Enjoying our first full day without rain!

 
Enjoying homemade lap lap (chicken and yams cooked in banana leaves)!

Our local friend, Ricky, who made us the lap lap!

It's funny to see how interconnected you become with people in every little corner of the globe once you become a member or affiliate of Rotary... while buying water and snacks at the market in downtown Port Vila, I saw a woman raising money for a local hospital. I dropped a few of my remnant vatu coins into her tin, since the public health focus really grabbed my attention, and when she said thank you, I noticed a familiar pin on her collar... it was a Paul Harris pin! I explained I was a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar, and she responded with the common Aussie phrase, "ohhhh, good on you!" We talked for quite a while and she was such an inspiration. It was quite a random Rotary encounter, yet I'm positive is only the first of many to come for the rest of my life. 

Can I just be Christine when I grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment